Back before it was Halloween (I need to keep up on this blog better!) I was working on Norah's costume. We had these gorgeous monarch butterfly wings that she has gotten from my MIL sometime last year, so I thought a butterfly would be an easy enough costume! We already had black sweatpants, and I bought a plain black long sleeve tshirt. Oh and I found some cute antennae on sale - originally meant for a bumble bee, but the yellowish orange color worked well with her wings! Here is Norah modelling her costume during our magical 70 degree weather we had the week before Halloween:
In that photo she is not wearing the part of her costume that I knit.... fingerless mittens! I assumed Halloween would be cold and dreary (and of course halloween night was GROSS out), so I busted out some wool in the closest matching shade I could find and made these:
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool (and some black scrap wool of some sort I had lying around for the hearts)
Pattern: Sucky Thumb Mitts
Mods: CO 26 sts. Followed directions except did K12 instead of K15 and left out a few rows of ribbing at beginning and end. Original pattern was too loose for my girl's hands with my gauge!
Since Halloween night lived up to its weather expectations, we added a winter coat and those mittens to her ensemble for trick-or-treating. Here she is all ready to head out into the drizzle:
I think we did 5 houses... it was enough for mom and dad! :-) We did get a few comments on the mittens, which was really fun for me to hear. Hooray for successful last minute costume knitting!